Monday, July 27, 2009

Plugging "O" for Art

In the name of art, art in the home, and jealousy, I am officially plugging the August issue of O Magazine. Yes, That is O as in Oprah. There is a featured article, entitled ArtHouse, that profiles art patron Peggy Cooper Cafritz's home. She is an influential Washington arts and education activist and cofounded D.C.'s Duke Ellington School of the Arts. An inspiration on so many levels. I went to Oprah's website to try to establish a link and unfortunately, the article and pictures are not mentioned. Please go to your neighborhood bookstore or newsstand to check it out.

The following quotes and concepts, albeit out of context from Peggy Cooper Cafritz, highlight and reinforce the importance and value of art. Making it. Selling it. Sharing it. Displaying it. When you see one piece or a collection in a home, it inspires and enriches.

  • Art must be an integral part of society. In the absence of other things, like money and power, art has been the one thing that we can be enriched by, cling to, support, and celebrate.
  • On how or where to place art in the home: No one can tell her where to put her art; she listens for that silent conversation. (I love that!-mg)
  • On how she chooses her art: She is governed by her gut; what she loves, what she thinks is amusing; what she thinks is beautiful. She never buys anything because it matches something else.

When you view her collection, it is warm, fun, colorful, honest, eclectic, and brilliant. Especially in the home environment.

How do I envision my work and art in the home? My personal challenge now is to apply the same approach of how she chooses and places her art to how I create and what I make.

I read and look at a lot of interior design and art magazines for style and decorating ideas. This particular article resonated with me. I encourage you to check out the Art House in the August O issue with banner on the cover: Eat Better! Live Happier! I truly was happier after reading even if I was, and still, am jealous!

1 comment: