Friday, July 17, 2009

Past Present Full Circle

You can usually find hidden treasures should you take the time to look. I am participating in Seth Apter's BURIED TREASURE online collaborative project that invites art bloggers to revisit a post from their past. Being relatively new to blogging (January 2009), I chose to re-post two:
PAST, PRESENT, FULL CIRCLE AND NO ARTIST LEFT BEHIND ACT..., which was my very first entry. I have come a long way technically, artistically and personally speaking.

I INVITE YOU TO CLICK ON THE LINK AT THE BOTTOM TO FIND PARTICIPATING ARTISTS WHO ALSO CHOSE TO SHARE THEIR ART, THEIR WORDS AND THEIR GROWTH. IT IS A TRUE TREASURE.


Past, Present, Full Circle was originally posted: May 2009



Sheesham wood reversible bangle set, acrylic, texture paint, non-toxic polyurethane gloss varnish

Transitions at any stage of life can be stressful, challenging, exciting and welcome. The "ol'
out with the old in the with new" syndrome. The rewards usually result in personal and professional growth. Many of those rewards have yet to reveal themselves. There's only so little I can control!

I am presently in the process of phasing out one place of employment for another, with much overlapping and crossover between the two until June 6th. That is when I leave the "old" for good.
My art has taken a temporary backseat :( . One location is ALL new, alive, and exciting while the other is seeing a rapid decline. This scenerio is not new to me. My past experience has prepared me well to recognize warning signs. I am SO incredibly grateful that the new position came when and WHERE it did.

I have observed and learned so much about myself and the collective of seeing the new restaurant,
Terzo Piano in the new Modern Wing at the Art Institute, take form and shape since opening 10 days ago to the public. I am applying those observations and knowledge to grow my own business. Some things I already knew and other concepts I humbly needed to be reminded:
  • Remain flexible because some of the initial systems and ideas may not work
  • It does take a village; don't be afraid to learn, delegate or ask for assistance
  • You can please most of the people most of time and please some of the people some of the time, you can't please everyone
  • Like an errant brush stroke, there are just some things you can't control
  • Continue to work and push toward your goal especially when you are utterly EXHAUSTED
  • I am not perfect
  • Pace myself and do not bite off more than I can realistically handle
  • There are always solutions
  • ALL in due time

It has been surprising and fun to see friends and relatives who I haven't seen since childhood, former employers, and acquaintances from my past enter my new "present". It is also exciting to meet new people and make new connections.

I have come full circle with my past and present. I look forward to future creations.

*******************************

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The No Artist Left Behind Act

Technically Speaking......

I started 2009 with a goal and a Blast Off. Actually, many goals but one that really needs to be met...SOON! TECHNICALLY SPEAKING @#*!?#, I am not good. And because of that, my lack of skill and knowledge is impeding the growth of my online presence. It was no truer that a few minutes ago. I accidentally deleted my first blog entry going through and deleting the drafts. Scream.

The title, To be a Functional Artist ...and the decision whether to continue was about my coming off the 2008 One of a Kind Show Chicago. This was my second year doing a show of this magnitude and quality. I had been an Emerging Artist in 2007. I was wiped out from the show on every level but what better time to write when the emotions are raw. I was really questioning and doubting whether I wanted to, or could, continue creating functional art and do everything it takes to make it grow.
How bad do I really want this? With the looming recession and not making my all my expenses this time, I was disappointed and somewhat discouraged. Breathe.

The artist lifestyle is HARD work, long hours, lots of sacrifice, not much money- at least in the beginning. But it can be fun, rewarding and very fulfilling. I spoke of the beautiful, passionate, and talented artists I had met (my new heroes); the overwhelming respect, awe and inspiration I felt being surrounded by them and by the incredible art they produced. I listened and spoke to artists who could not pay their bills, had their utilities turned off, had not sold anything the entire show. They offered words of encouragement, and insight with regard to booth layout and design, respecting the process, that it takes time to really grow. Anyway, it was really good and it ended with an astounding YES!! I will continue to paint, create, grow, learn and market my art. The riches I took away were not in my checking account this year, but instead with the people, the experience and artists I met.

Now that you are caught up and I'm not crying anymore, I will begin No Artist Left Behind... technically speaking. Because technically speaking, no artist or any business can afford to not understand, be up to date, literate, skillful, and technically adept in this day and age. It is necessary and I do not want to be left behind. That is one of my goals for 2009- to have greater vision, motivation, organization, and promotion, remove blocks and have confidence to grow my art. Grow from part time to full time.

So how am going to do this? Well, first, I signed up for Alyson Stanfield's Blast Off online class at artbizcoach.com. Technically speaking, I would create a direct link to her site but don't want to take any chances...The course assignments are all online, provides you with online insight and marketing tools and venues, you post comments and are accountable. Technically speaking, how perfect is that? I am in Day 6 of the course and so far so great.

I am a little embarrassed about what happened. But just think, pretty soon, in the not too distant future, you will see beautiful and fun pictures of my work and others, links to other people's websites (ARTISTS! and retailers) and maybe a few technically speaking #@@?!$. O.K. I am going to post this. Who's laughing know?
Please let it be me.
Thanks for reading!

*******
FIND MORE BURIED TREASURES AT
http://www.thealteredpage.blogspot.com/2009/07/treasure-chest.html

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with your art journey. The train stops occasionaly to let others on and hopefully not too many get off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your wooden bangles. Functional art should be praised more often. Good luck on your art journay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. funk-shual art is how I live. My son moved out last week, he's 19, and no cinder bloch wood book shelves for him. Evrything is art, or altered trash. Do without before you make do!
    Shine on, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post showed a lot of insight into your thought process and decision making about a new career. I liked how you said you had dedicated the past year to making friendships and contacts rather than concentrating on the check book. Nice words to live by and I can thank Seth for pointing me to your blog to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these are such great choices to re-post. There is much to think about here and it was fascinating to read a bit about your journey. So happy that you decided to be part of this!

    ReplyDelete