Thursday, February 2, 2012

Lakshmi & Me

 
When I start a painting, or any new creation, I rarely have a clear plan or design. Just a blank canvas staring back saying DO SOMETHING with me. I rely on some spontaneity, and/or request some help from a Muse or a symbolic deity when I need help to achieve a goal. This is probably the one thing that I do in my life that truly keeps me present. I take that back. There's yoga.

Recently I requested and utilized some symbolic energy from a resin figure I bought of the Hindu deity Lakshmi. She is the goddess of wealth, prosperity (both material and spiritual), light, wisdom, fortune, fertility, generosity and courage, AND the embodiment of beauty, grace, and charm. Is that too much ask?

I started painting on my 8"x8" cradled wood canvas, incorporating an earlier unsold painting. I'm presently in the process in re-purposing. You can get DO OVERS in art.

I was off to a fairly decent start, so I thought.

.
As I continued, I was liking it less and less. With some more obsessive work, painting the recycled canvas again and adding some magenta flowers, I decided to end on this note:

 Copyright 2012 Marilyn Grad
Next stop, gathering up all my new creations to get professionally shot and posted on my website.  Lakshmi, I'm depending on you. I have art to market and sell.

1 comment: