Saturday, January 21, 2012

It's More Than Black and White

The reality of living an artist lifestyle is not easy.  It definitely is a CHOICE, a calling, a passion and my goal. And by no means is it all black and white. 

I am admittedly getting better at learning and doing what it takes to live an artist's life, albeit between a full time job. I continually surround myself with resources and tools to help me understand what is natural, normal and avoidable. 

I constantly work with the truly gray, or I what I consider the real COLORFUL matter in between. (I have a great hair colorist for that other gray matter!!- truth's out now.) I embrace the emotional and financial highs; accept the business, emotional/ego and financial lows (kinda); sometimes/always compare myself to others; always admire, am inspired and learn from other artists; seek creative challenges and strive to work through my constraints and limitations to get me to level I want to achieve.

I work out of my apartment. With my limited space, I am surrounded by the sight of unsold box inventory. It is hard to look and not have it take on the appearance of failure and expense. On the plus side, I can see the wonderful progress I've made over the years and take advantage of what worked. I have the luxury of painting over all that work to create something new. That is precisely what I have done with the boxes shown on this post. I have also managed to finagle my way out of the box with my wall art and mixed media creations. 

What definitely IS BLACK AND WHITE: 
  • Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
  • Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
  • Spend time alone every day. 
  • When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
AND these rejuvenated decorative, individually hand painted and very functional boxes:




No comments:

Post a Comment