Sunday, November 20, 2011

Seeing Red

"Paintings need company and companionship. You need to get your work out there, get it off these walls, out of the studio and out on the streets."
Actor/Artist Mark Rothko from Red, the play, to his studio assistant, an artist

No sooner had I heard these well intentioned words literally SHOUTED from a stage last month, a highly sensitive nerve was struck.  So much that I started wiping away tears and said to myself Oh, actor portraying Mark Rothko, I know, I know, you're right, I know. Sob. Sigh. I must do that and will. This medium and this play was the message I needed and at that decibel too! I learned a lot from Red. (If you click on Red, you can see a little from youtube.)


Marilyn Grad Copyright 2011, Mixed Media
With the holiday season officially here, and holiday shows in abundance on every scale, location and cost, I'm sitting this out unless a miracle happens. A sensitive and guilty issue, but a thought out business decision, nonetheless. My work does not do well at holiday shows unless I create other things that aren't all me. I've witnessed it. I was invited to participate in several church sponsored benefits again this year but I felt Jesus was getting the better deal. Please no offense. I didn't do as much research this year on shows as I could have and should have either as my work was still taking on it's new shape and colors.

Marilyn Grad Copyright 2011 Mixed Media
When I think, feel and see the color Red, I want it to be passion, love, cheer, anger, laughing embarrassment, life and drive and less in the form of fear and debt. Maybe I can still find and eke out one or two venues that might be a good fit. I am continuing to paint my wall art like the new ones you see here and we shall see. I would love to see, feel and throw some green into the mix.


Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and remember to support Artists this holiday season and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment