Wednesday, August 31, 2011

One Day+One Exhibit=Happy

I took a replenish, "get outta here" and inspire "me" day yesterday to go to the Milwaukee Art Museum to see The Emperor's Private Paradise: Treasures from the Forbidden City exhibit. Need I remind you how much I love Asian art, furnishings and artifacts? I needed a drool cup viewing this exhibit. I was blown away.


It featured art, murals, objects, furnishings, all made with exquisite beauty and craftsmanship, from Qianlong Garden. This was a secluded compound of pavilions and gardens the Qianlong emperor designed in the 18th century in anticipation of his retirement. Lots of Buddhist shrines and some videos. This was the third and final stop in the world before these treasured artworks are returned to China. I made it just in time.
The show ends September 11 and a link: Milwaukee Art Museum.

No photos of the exhibit were allowed but I'll share what I could from this exhibit and then some other things. 

Well, this is it. Can you find moi in this pic?

But what I can visually share is the calm, serenity and magnificence of this museum. This was my first time here, ashamedly. It is a gorgeous museum architecturally with a fantastic art collection along the lakefront. Just what I needed.

After China, I went to see all the other exhibits/collections. Paid my respect to Picasso, O'Keefe, Leger + many more, and then an extraordinary thing happened. Roy Lichtenstein called me over to one of his Pop art paintings and he spoke to me. He said "kid (beats Ma'am), I know how much you love art, want to make it as an artist, so how would you like to be in one of mine? (Really? Ya talkin' to me?) See what it is like to have your work in a museum."  So I took him up on it and got several shots. Hard to do trying not to look at the camera when taking a shot. Here's one:


See, when I told you I needed to get away, I meant it!

It was such a great day. I learned a lot, made a new "friend,"  and tried to write a shorter, less cluttered post. Four hours to go until September.

August is officially a wrap and so is my short time off. Back to work tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment