Sunday, August 28, 2011

Finding Even More Happy In August

I scheduled some much needed time off from work starting today, Saturday, August 27. I mention that because I don't know if I'll finish this post tonight so I want to be honest about my "today." Having just returned from my today, let me tell you it made me more than happy. It made me blissful and blessed.

I chose to start my day attending two of my favorite farmers' markets, greencity Market and another on Division Street, both I now miss due to my weekend schedule. It's a see-good, smell-good, hear-good, feel-good and TASTE good festival. A healthy high.

 I bought basil, tomatoes, blueberries, parsley, peppers and honey. I've finally learned to discipline myself at the market because so much of what I would buy ended up getting wasted and pitched. Money doesn't grow on trees or in the ground unfortunately :(

On to another festival: the Bucktown Arts Fest. It is a good show, quite competitive  to get into, tried twice unsuccessfully several years ago. I had a mission/intention going to this show. I have not attended many this summer and was feeling it. I felt the need to be around and connect with other artists - those brave souls doing an outdoor show- for inspiration and kindred-ship (is that even a word?)


First stop, one of my favorite artists/heroes, Anne Leuck Feldhaus as she was literally wrapping up a sale! She was unaware that this was even taken. I never want to intrude on any artist at a show with a camera. I bought a small painting.


Another artist/hero , who I recently wrote about, is Melissa Banks. She was also unaware that I took this.  But I wanted to visually introduce you to her and her phenomenal jewelry since I didn't before.
And then there is Jennifer Meyer, sistersan, a beautiful and phenomenal sculptor and welder of recycled materials. We met three years ago doing an Architectural Artifacts Holiday show and she is one of the greatest gifts to enter my life from that show. She is richly soulful, spiritual, wise and ridiculously funny. I haven't seen Jen for two years? but we are so connected that the physical didn't matter. Seeing her after this lapse of time was the best! She knew her picture was being taken and didn't want it. She was exhausted from the preparation for this show. I begged. :)

 
Two bookcases made from recycled filing cabinets. These are jaw dropping in person!!
Talking to her for some time at the show was empowering, touching and emotional for me. We never truly know the impact we have on other peoples lives, be it from our art or being, until your hear or read their words directly. I am so grateful I got to hear those words and take home a piece of her art as well.

As I mentioned before, this was a spectacular day. Not only did I reconnect with my simple pleasures, I reconnected with the art community and myself! 

I deliberately took a lot of tent shots of the farmers' markets and art fair for which I spared you. One of my process steps for getting over my outdoor show issues. After spending time  there today (the real today), I am definitely going to give Bucktown another shot next year.  I have a lot of work ahead of me but after this day in August, I know I want it. The ground has been set - mentally at least.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment