Sunday, January 27, 2013

Motivated By Words and Numbers, Artistically Speaking

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others.
You need to accept yourself."
Thich Nhat Hanh

I love this quote. I love the art I now make. And I do accept myself-my strengths, insecurities and shortcomings. Truly, I do. However, where Thich Nhat Hanh and I diverge is the second sentence of this quote. I do need to be accepted by others when it comes my art.  Seeing my LIKE numbers go up on virtual social media sites, getting into brick and mortar locations and under some tarp (aka outdoor shows & a tent!) would be a beautiful thing.  Especially financially. It weighs on me. There goes that comparison to others thang.  And like the lottery, I am very aware that I have to keep playing and applying myself to increase the odds in order to fulfill those goals and objectives.

THE NUMBERS: Forget Facebook at the moment. What is now triggering the numbers game is my recent sign up to the See.Me site, formerly Artists Wanted. It is a wonderful site of over 615,000 artists (an intimate gathering), from all over the world and all mediums, who can connect, share and support one another, and are all eligible to compete for cash, grants, and the opportunity show in New York. I really like this site and the international support I am starting to receive in less than three weeks is gaining some momentum. Now that does feel good.

THE WORDS: Last Monday (January 21) and for 6 consecutive days, I have watched,  listened and transcribed the words of artist Wayne White, from an Independent Lens documentary entitled Beauty is Embarressing  that aired on our local PBS station. There was much to be learned and be inspired from this 90 minute film and who knows when it will air again. Love him!!!  Here is a brief introduction:



"Art makes no sense as far as a career. I just want to do it for myself. I am just as insecure as anybody in alot of ways. There has to be this other kind of faith in yourself. I always take this big cosmic view: You're only going to live maybe 80-90  years, if you're lucky, and that's it, that's all you get, so why not?"
 Wayne White 

"If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased."
Katherine Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment