Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It's Only Temporary

It's nice to have outside influences to help reinforce and remind me that events and situations are temporary. Healthy, too. Those influences and reminders can come from anyone, anywhere, anything. For example, lets take a sacred ritual, a season, and a situation. 

The Sacred Ritual: Last week I went to watch and hear the Tibetan Monks of Drepung Gomang Monastery recreate a mandala for Medicine and Healing, followed by some chanting. Mandalas are created whenever a need for healing of the environment and living beings is felt. No better time like the present!

The Mandala, Tibetan sand painting, is an ancient art form of Tibetan Buddhism. They are carefully constructed from dyed sand particles to represent the particular esoteric and textual traditions of Buddhism. It is a transient art form. Upon completion to symbolize the impermanence of all that exists, the colored sands are swept up and poured into a nearby river or stream where the waters carry healing energies throughout the world. Perhaps they chose Lake Michigan- it was pretty darn feisty (25 ft waves) while they were here. I was so engrossed watching them create this. I think I might have the patience for this, but on a very, very small scale. Just a temporary thought.



A Season: Today was the last day of the Farmers Market at the Museum of Contemporary Art. This is actually the last weekend for ALL farmers markets here. I tend to go to different markets for different items. I have my faves. There is one grower here, in my opinion, that grows the best honey crisp apples. I stocked up and hopefully that should keep the doctors away for longer than temporary. Until next year...a temporary.



Lastly, A Situation: Also today, I said a temporary good-bye to one my best friends in Chicago who had to leave today to go back to Brazil, where she is from, due to immigration policies. We all hope and believe it is temporary but that doesn't lessen the emotion behind it.
We stayed positive and hugged as we said good-bye outside her apartment. No tears allowed. Okay, some temporary tears then back to smiles.

Tereza finishing up some last minute work before leaving for the airport.
After she got into the cab, this little friend went wee wee weepy all the way home.
But it was temporary. Thanks to her, I now have a reason and know how to Skype.


IF ONLY THE SITUATION WITH THE CHANGING FONTS WERE TEMPORARY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment