Monday, December 14, 2009

Shows and Tell

Today is a perfect day for blogging. It is gray and misty outside. I am surrounded by blue crates, unpacked bags, painted boxes,...actually I am surrounded by a cluttered mess but I want to set a mood for writing. If I keep my eyes closed, my mind open and my fingers working, we will all be fine. Where was I before I distracted myself?

Yesterday was my last holiday show for this year. It was first time I ever did back-to-back monthly shows; came to 1 each month. A mere stroll for most but phenomenal training for me. I felt so much better going into this show for many reasons. Let me count the ways:
1) the venue,
2) the participating artists,
3) my exhibiting neighbors,
4) More experience

I was surrounded by such helpful, supportive, generous, fun, and sharing artists. Much different from the loud evilness that I was next to at my last show. Was that why my sign and art kept falling? And she was there yesterday. Far away from me but I still saw and heard her- as did others. She has developed quite an unpopular reputation from what I have learned and witnessed. It makes a difference who is next to you when you don't have a physical wall separating you.

Location could have been better. Felt and looked like a cul-de-sac and I was on the bend. But what so rewarding about this particular show, personally speaking, was seeing what experience I have accumulated so far pay off. I was pleased with my display. I sold, definitely not as much as jewelry and clothing, but I sold some things. I got even more helpful hints, recommendations and suggestions for the future. My emotional reaction and responses to lags and set up/tear downs has gotten a little better. Still room for improvement. Yep, I do want more shows in my future. Now that it is over I can say that with a sadistic smile on my face.

What's next for me? More online technical tutelage and training (esp. when it comes to pix to show-already arranged), more marketing, more figuring out, and researching more shows to apply to that I can afford and hopefully get in.

I can not stress enough to try to surround yourself with supportive, inspiring and experienced show people. They are genuinely there to help, are willing to do so, and do so in a kind, constructive and motivating manner. You must be willing to ask for it. This is the life I chose and want.... experience every productive high and every productive low and all the in-betweens. Shows can and will do that to a person. Life does that too. I tell ya!!

*************************

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN: I just got an email from one the my FAVORITE ARTIST friends (really a friend who happens to be an artist too) who I met at the Spring show at Architectural Artifacts last May and was at the show yesterday. I must and will share a portion of it with you. She makes and welds magnificent sculptures and all from recycled materials. She doesn't have a website otherwise I would point you in her direction - that I could do! Technically speaking, we're kinda the same. She is brilliant, hysterically and sarcastically funny, and a beautiful and supportive person inside and out. She is very dear to me, and I found her at an art show!! She kept my spirits up yesterday when I was just starting to feel them dip. Jennifer Meyer, I hope you don't mind seeing your words:

I sold FIVE of my thirty poetry sculptures, and not a single solitary big one that I now have to store alongside all of my other many, many unsold sculptures, some being pretty large. I hope my rubbing your nose in my extraordinary successes does not make you feel too bad.

Mostly I hope you took to heart the unsolicited comments from the coffee house owners who stated that the only real art in the show were the unique creations, like my boxes and your boxes. Life ebbs and flows my friend, it is the rhythm of all life, and while it may be at an ebb now, it will not stay that way because nothing ever does. Ever. Except my ability to be nice, give compliments and smart ass remarks. That is a constant. Oh yes, and me always looking like I am only 29 years old. Be at peace.

I was, and am, ecstatic about her success yesterday, today and always. That's what artists and friends do. They support, share and teach and rub things in your face. The timing of her email could not have been better!!!

THANKS JEN!!







1 comment:

  1. Everything is as it should be. Some things of mine are selling now, that i made years ago. Before our time is what we are. Don't change, wait for the world to catch up.
    Love to you sweet Marilyn, Lisa

    ReplyDelete