Friday, May 3, 2013

What Makes For A Really Great Day?

What makes for a really great day? It must have really been a great day since it is now 9:00 pm on Thursday and I actually feel like writing a post for this neglected blog.  I will probably finish this 36 hours later but it is a start and my tenses may be all over the place. I will try to stay present as much as possible but will most likely end up present imperfect.

Copyright 2013 Marilyn Grad

Back to the question at blog. Waking up is ALWAYS a grand start and finding your groove. It also helps that as the day progresses you somehow manage to laugh and work through the stress and nonsense, and keep matters in perspective. I managed much to my relief. 

Copyright 2013 Marilyn Grad

What made this day feel so great was knowing I had the next two days off and they were going to be filled with some celebrations in art and yoga. Soul food. My plans for the evening included attending a collaborative performance of music and video by friend and coworker, photographer John Atwood at Intuit.

Several hours before that performance, I had the joy and pleasure of selling three bracelets to another co-worker's mother who lives in Austria and was visiting briefly. She had noticed the bracelets I was wearing the day before and wanted some so I brought some in the next day (today-Friday). The few English words she spoke outnumbered my German, but our nonverbal exchange was beautiful and fun. By the time this posts she will have already returned home having worn one of my bracelets on the flight and the others are now probably seeing the sights of Austria. I wish I was a bracelet.

On my way to Intuit, I spontaneously and unexpectedly discovered A Brave New Art World, in the River North Art Gallery district.  I entered participating galleries, saw performance artists and tasted new local beverages that are presently (told you my tenses were going to be all over the place) making their way into the marketplace.

The best was meeting, talking and laughing with contemporary asian art gallery owner Andrew Bae. We had an interesting conversation about the globalization of art. He catered his event with Cuban cuisine which I found hilarious. What can I say? He did too!

If you are still with me and following this (thank you and bless you), what is and was truly great about this day is and was that I was nurtured by my passions and interests with some unexpected surprises along the way. I was happy. Obstacles are getting out of my way. I began to feel roots taking place in Chicago after 30 years here. (Will see how long that lasts.) This and that makes for a great day! Thanks Ganesha. Here's looking to a successful future tense.

Copyright 2013 Marilyn Grad




No comments:

Post a Comment