Friday, October 5, 2012

RAW Emotion: Honestly Part 1

 

Well....The 2012 Ravenswood Artwalk came and went. The weather was perfect!! Nirvana. Clear skies, sunny, warm, a great day to walk around a great neighborhood and see some art. This was my third time doing the RAW and I was going in with high hopes. Why not? I did well last year and hoped the momentum would continue. I was familiar with my assigned location having ironically/sadly been in this location my first year when it was a gym :( . This year was going to be different? as the Chicago Mosaic School had taken over the space, beautifully I might add.

Keeping the tradition of posting highlights from each year's show in my blog, I will take you on a mini tour of RAW 2012. I did not get to see too much of the show this year, just enough to know where I would like to request and be next year.

Let's begin on the lows, shall we?  Follow me up N. Ravenswood as we see the construction for the new Metra Rail system underway. Some streets were blocked which made those driving become more creative. WE ARE ALL CREATIVES! in this life in some way, shape or expression.


We'll walk up North Ravenswood and take a left on West Cuyler to the Chicago Mosaic School:

 
We have arrived and will walk up two flights of stairs to the Second Floor:
 

There was no promotion/signage on the street so on Saturday morning with two posters one of the artist's had, I collected all the artists business cards, scotched tape them to the poster and together we went outside and posted them to a pole. (Using stress and anger in a positive way) The other wonderful artists that I shared this space with did this again on Sunday on the other side of Ravenswood. We took the promotion by the horns!!


The Begyle Brewery next door and the artists sharing their space had an identical challenge and did this the same time we did:


Wall space was NOT made available to the artists that needed/wanted it (3 total including myself), so I was constantly reworking, stressing and reconfiguring my "plans" and what pieces to bring. Displays have always been one of my banes and not a strong suit. I kept checking this space out several days/times before the show until the hosts and I were on the same page and knew what the final agreed set up would be.

They were gracious in lending me tabletop easels for the wood panels and a spacious workstation table. I did let my dissatisfaction be known. 
It does make a difference when you show paintings against a wall and not a table that also contains your other work, including a sale table upfront. They were not gracious about other matters which led to an uncomfortable and unwelcoming weekend. One more thing to rise above.



Thank goodness for DEAR friends that came and the artists I met that bonded in this space. We did become a family. It helps to surround yourself with them, commiserate and keep spirits up.

Marilyn, continue to persevere. Promise yourself you will.

.

Part 2 of the tour: THE HIGHLIGHTS!!! The artists, lessons and a metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment