Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Taking a ME-ni Retreat

Last month I created a short ME-ni mental, spiritual and artistic retreat to like me again. I scheduled time off a month beforehand for this. I was originally looking and planning to get out of Chicago but decided otherwise after getting my work re-$hot again and other thing$. Another time. This was six days of VERY MUCH NEEDED time off in row. I've done 3 day self-made retreats in the past.  So I stayed here and made minimal plans. There was very limited television and telephone usage. It was a good decision.  Here is a small sampling of what I came up with:

For mental, I chose nature, reading a book and yoga. 

I FINALLY made it to the Osaka Japanese Gardens behind the Museum of Science and Industry after hearing about it a couple of years ago. I did not know this even existed until then! How long have I lived here? 29 years? It is a quaint and serene little treasure.  I practically had it all to myself since I went mid-week. After that, yoga class. Went to the lakefront a lot too!

My spiritual fulfillment took an unexpected twist with this MAGNIFICENT find:


I found this stunning wood and jeweled Buddha and table at the Randolph Street Market last month for $60. The Buddha came first for $50 with an authentic import tag which I will not remove, walked around some more, saw the table for $10 and thought what a stunning unintentional match!!  This statue is so beautiful to me and I was so embarrassed that it made me clean out my closet, and get rid of things in my apartment.  Another FINALLY  with definitely more to boot!!  More yoga. Watched a few inspirational YouTube  videos.

Artistically, I painted. I visited artist collectives. I wrote copy for my new still "under construction" ETSY shop and a little on my website. I tried to write every day. Some days were better than others. Trying to write descriptively about your art and coming up with titles for paintings is not easy. Geisha with black hair on red background - yep, truly at a loss.

I found this short video to keep me in line:




I would have loved for the words to have oozed out of every pore of my being so I could get ETSY and my website done. How was that for writing?! They did not. I'm still at it now. But progress was indeed made. All in all, it was a productive and affirming retreat. I shall do it again but make sure I get out of town next time. 
On that note something I wrote: 

I turn my jealousy into aspiration.
I turn my fear into empowerment.
I turn my insecurity into confidence.
I turn my desire into success.
I turn my art into sales.
                              Marilyn
            



1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Marilyn. Keep up all of the great work you're doing on yourself and your art...be well!

    ReplyDelete