Thursday, May 17, 2012

Artists Are Friends and Personal Heroes

I did not get into the Bucktown ArtsFest. Certainly I'm disappointed, but not devastated. I am fine. I'll live. I let myself feel what I needed and released what I needed to release. It did not take long. I knew immediately where to turn for a little cheering up, perspective and a laugh as soon as I heard: an artist. I emailed this artist and personal artist hero right away with the news and she did not let me down. In addition to her words which I am sharing, with her permission, she also sent me two hilarious video clips which I was going to include but thought otherwise. Let her words resonate. We can all benefit, artist or not.

It's time to add to my personal Personal Artist Heroes list which already includes Anne Leuck Feldhaus and Melissa Banks.  Let me introduce you once AGAIN to Jennifer Meyer. (If you click on Again, you will see Anne, Melissa and Jennifer from last year's Bucktown ArtsFest. Funny how it all falls together.) She is a therapist by profession and an extraordinary, compassionate, sensitive, sarcastic, articulate, talented, wise, spiritual human being and "will be there for you" artist. Not to overlook AMAZING sculptor and welder. She does not have website otherwise you can be sure I would direct you to it. I love having her as a friend and newest inductee into my personal artist hero group.



Jennifer's reply message to me:
 
I am so regretful that you received such disappointment on this beautiful day. It was not what you hoped for, visualized or affirmed in your mind and that hurts. And shocks a little too when we practice sending good energy out there and anticipating that it will return in a rewarding way somehow. I still believe in that concept, but I also believe that the good energy often gets returned in unexpected, rather than expected ways.

I imagine you are confused and feeling some self doubt. Thinking abut the money you spent on the professional photographs. Oh and the list can go on for miles, but try not to take it personally. Speaking as one who has payed to be rejected, over and over and over again, I have learned to feel the feelings for a day and then to work diligently at letting it go. IT IS NOT YOU OR YOUR ARTWORK BEING REJECTED. It is the fickleness of jurors, it is too many returning artists, it is the committee not wanting too much change, it is that your artwork reminded one of the jurors of the woman her husband slept with that landed her in divorce court, it is a hundred things that we will never know.

What we do know is that we are sensitive creatives and we have no choice but to express ourselves in ways other than language. Rejection is a simple fact of life, but something artists experience more than others because we are always putting our selves out there, and more often.

I am truly sad for your disappointment, yet also believe that it just was not meant, for reasons yet to be revealed. I hope it eases your sting a little when I reveal that so far this year I have been rejected by one art fair and three public art venues. And you know what I say? I say, " awwww, fuck 'em if they can't take a joke". And the weird thing is then I feel better. So if you need a mantra to get through you can borrow mine.

Breathe peace and keep creating, it is what you are meant to do, not to obsess over what is not.

Jennifer Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.
******
Twenty four hours later, after borrowing and effectively chanting her mantra 108 times (actually used Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha,) I've moved on.  I wasn't angry. I was down a little but I'm not out. I have work to do.

Thank you Jennifer !!!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL I love that advice!
    I wish I would have had that line when I got rejected from an art show.
    Don't worry, I am sure I will be rejected again...
    It will be so fun to say
    "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke"

    Sorry to hear, Marilyn, but you have a great friend!
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete