Friday, March 12, 2010

Getting in the Game

The waiting is over. My colorful mind is no longer spinning in circles. I will now share my new beginnings.

"Blue Orbit" Box
Acrylic and texture paint, wood
  • I am soon leaving my current job surrounded by lots of art and challenging clientele for a new location within the same industry-hospitality. I don't have to take on a third job that I don't want so I can continue making art.
  • I am also going to be a contributing writer/blogger for artsavvy.com
  • I now have a brand new laptop computer!! No longer will I feel like the artist left behind because of my outdated software and technological handicaps. No more excuses. No more holding back.
  • I am dedicating more of myself to creating and marketing my art.
*********
Alright, so what exactly changed? Where did this new fire, or agni in Sanskrit, in my belly come? Was it:
  • Watching the Olympics? Seeing and hearing about the athlete's hours, months and years of training, sacrifice, attitude, visualization techniques? The medal ceremonies?
  • Watching and listening to the Oscars last weekend and hearing two winners accept their Academy awards:
Mo'nique was asked if she ever envisioned herself winning an Academy award and
her response was a resounding YES! "Why get in the game if you don't imagine it?"
and
Peter Doctor's acceptance speech for the movie "UP" on the inherent value
and importance of being creative and making art: "It's not a waste of time."

  • Getting my taxes done and knowing going in that these past 3 years were not my best, that I was closing in on my window to show a profit like I had before or otherwise risk being classified as "hobby."
The envelope and answer please: ALL OF THE ABOVE.
I believe the fire in my belly just needed to be fanned some more. It's game time. Whatever it takes......

I will be the artist formerly known as hobby.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl!! Loved,loved the post! Here's to your new beginnings!!

    ReplyDelete